Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Setting a Record

I realized today as I was knocking on doors that I'd sell more if I cared less. Let me explain that a little. To do so I'm going to use an analogy.

I love to slackline. It's fun. If you don't know what it is here's a brief explanation. SLACKLINING

When one is first learning how to slackline, the first thing I tell people is to not look down. I tell them to focus on a spot on the other side of the line, like a knot in the tree or the end of the line. As humans, when things get sketchy we look down. I constantly have to remind friends who are slacklining for the first time not to look down. Looking down only amplifies the action, making us shake more.

That can be applied to everyday life. When we focus on each little side to side movement, we often make them worse. But when we relax and allow our bodies to move with the line, and look at our objective, the wobbling decreases and in some cases, stops altogether. It's hard to explain to some until you've actually slacklined, but, the keys to success is relaxing, focusing on the objective and ignoring the subtle movements of the line as one moves forward.

The same can be said for the last few days with me and selling. As soon as I started to relax and focus on the objective, and ignored the subtle trip ups (i.e. mistaking products, using we verses I, things like that). Slacklining is fun, when I'm having fun, I do better. When I focus on either showing off, or I just stop having fun, I fall more, and struggle more. The same is applied to selling.

Basically, I just started having fun again. That is the biggest difference. Everything should be enjoyable, and if it's not, our attitude doesn't need to follow suit. Today I sold 8 verses the 1-3 that I've been averaging the last few weeks. A new record for me.

No comments: