Saturday, December 6, 2008

It's been a while

Ok, so it's been quite a long time since I've written anything in my blog, and I figured I'd do something about it before I went to bed. (of course it's 1 am, and I need to get up early to get ready for a big day tomorrow)

It's been a while since I've been excited about anything. It's been a while since I realized that what I want to do in life. And it's been a while since I've been "twitterpated."

I'm going back to school in January if all goes well, namely, getting the pell grants I need to get everything done. I'm still excited to go back, and need to finish what I started so many years ago.

I want to own my own business. I've known that for years, but tonight I really thought about what I want to do and it felt right. I was talking to a friend and mentioned that I wanted to have my own business, and as we got to talking I realized that I eventually want to be rich. I want to make it big, but it's not because I really want the things of the world, but it's because I really have a desire to help my fellow men. I don't know if it's because I'm sincerely happy right now but it may have something to do with it.

I want to be rich because I want to put my wealth into something worthwhile. Cancer research, AIDS awareness, schools, something along those lines.

Here's why I'm happy. I know my readers are few, so I don't worry about saying, but I met a girl. But you know what? I'm not going to say anything further on the subject because I want to do this right. I've made so many mistakes in my life that I really feel that it's time to do this right. Maybe I won't mess this up. I'm sure going to try not to. We just clicked, and that, in the words of Forrest Gump, "is all I have to say about that."

I will tell you about the possible business venture I have. JT Paintball is a local paintball retailer who deals with mainly rental equiptment and event support, in other words, supplying paintballs, high pressure air, CO2, and other necissary items to make a good day of paintball...well...great! The owner of JT paintball is moving and I have an opportunity to possibly buy his business. We're still going through the numbers and I've got a lot of studying to do in terms of the finacial side of things, like taxes, investment things, and all the legal mumbo-jumbo I know little about. Thank heavens for a home teacher who happens to make this sort of thing his living. I need to go through the books and see if this is a wise investment, considering that 80% of businesses fail in the first 5 years, and 80% of those still around after 5 years, fail within 10 years, so in reality a business has a 4% chance of still being around after 10 years.

Since JT Paintball has been around for 3 years, I figure the chances are a little better, but I'm not going into this blind. I've seen what it's capable of doing, and think that it has great potential. Now I need to consult my finacial team, and see if this is really something I want to take on, either by myself, or with a partner. (My best friend Christian is talking about becoming partners with me and going in this together. He's run a successful business in Las Vegas, and is someone that I trust almost more than anyone else in my life)

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Rusty Smith said...

Hey: it's been a while, glad to hear you are happy. Just wanted to let you know that the 80% of small businesses fail stat is a myth, so don't weigh it too heavy in your decision. check out this article.

http://blog.jtimothyking.com/2006/08/24/how-many-new-businesses-fail-their-way-to-success